PAF Reviews : 3. Mai Maati

So now the PAF season has crossed the halfway mark. On 26th evening we had the third PAF “Maai Maati” loosely meaning “Meri mitti/dharti”. And out of the 3 Pafs uptill now, I think this one is the most difficult to write about. For the earlier 2 PAFs I had a good enough picture of what I was going to write as soon as the paf ended. There were many obvious likes and dislikes in those two. But for this third paf it is not that simple. I actually thought and replayed the PAF, the story again and again in my mind. It was when I watched the PAF ‘preview’ again, that it hit me. There is one very true statement there by someone “Ye PAF us sadiyon purani PAF recipie ki tarah hai jismain bas kuch naya masala daalne ki koshish ki hai”. This about sums it up. I think this was the reason why the general response to the paf was “bahut accha tha” and not “bahuuuuuutt accha tha”. Those extra ‘u’s matter a lot. They tell you that the first one is appreciation of the effort but the second one is a reaction after enjoying the PAF.

The PAF centered around a very hot current issue “Naxalism”. To be honest I also didn’t know much about what is going on there. I always approached the issue as communist groups refusing to development. Atleast now my unintentional bias has been removed. The PAF from the word go got into this issue, covering a slight history and the actual state in these villages affected by it. However despite the through research and incidences cited during conversations they, atleast for me, could not bring out the pain of the people affected. Here is what I mean:

They very smartly had constructed this character of Rajeev shekhar, the reporter who is kidnapped by the naxalites. The use of this character is that he is like us, “urban” and unaware of the actual situation. The goal should have been for him to slowly discover the problems in the village. However what did happen was all the background info was thrown at the audience one after the other. And the only incidence that did show the injustice being done to them was the shooting of bittu at the station. In short, in my opinion getting into the issue from the word go and ‘telling’ (not showing) all the problems failed to really make the audience wonder. Infact just the video alone brought in more impact about the issue than the whole story of the PAF. Still to avoid the risk of being over critical let’s move on to the elements

The highlight undoubtedly was MUSIC. The vocals, sitar and tabla jugalbandi, folky tunes for the village scenes were also well thought out. Choreo for me was just average, how ever I did enjoy the ‘mahishasur choreo’ quite a lot. I never knew I could be intrigued by this type of dance so much. Prod involving the moving train was a good idea, however a few more people in it apart from the neta they were waiting for would have made it more realistic. Apart from that the village prod also quite beautifully done. Voiceovers for me were inconsistent, (especially female). There were regular mistakes, stammers and more importantly very few had a distinct trait especially in the village, where it was hard to make out who is who. Still a few VO did standout like the police inspector, bittu, champa rani and saved the day for them. Acting was okish. Most of the humor didn’t really work and the only funny scene that stayed with me was the DDLJ impression. Overall execution however could have been much tighter. Though no major putches, the scene cuts and abrupt choreos hindered the flow of the story. The streetplay though by now a bit of a cliché, was very very well executed and did get the audience going. Another scene that stood out for me was the one when Rajeev shekhar, after spending time in the village, starts a virtual show in the village itself. Supported by some really beautiful music this scene for the first time enabled me to feel the characters in the village. That is why I also mentioned earlier that more use of this character in exploring the problems in the village would have been much more effective than just the villagers discussing it like a history lesson.

So concluding I would say, though no major problem with script or the execution or the elements, this was still just another paf, with nothing there we haven’t seen before. Even the train prod ( though the prod junta involved might not know this) has been done before. Infact I was strongly reminded of PAFs like “Saare jahan se accha” and “1984”. Still for a typical PAF they came through, had their set of highlights and most importantly did bring out quite a few things about the issue not known to many.

Overall rating: 7/10

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Fogla- ekdam sahi review diya hai... bang on. even i would give 7/10.

Gold and Iron said...

I would take it
iss baar koi bhi PAF hugga nahin hua

Ranjeet Kr. Vimal said...

Naseer bhai.. kya expert comment diyela hai.. 5 hi jeetega is baar..

nonameforme said...

ye live traffic feed me gwalior nahi indore hona chahiye tha! :P

Ravali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suyash Jain said...

After PAF2, this paf worked as a mood spoiler for me.
The issue chosen was serious and difficult, which makes it difficult to add humour to the paf. I appreciate that it tried to highlight the other side of the story, but it was a dull..really dull paf.


Anyways, the only thing which kept me seated was the music...extremely matured and intelligent pieces.

Overall: 5/10
Music: 9/10

Ashish Bhansali said...

Dude, why don't you write this on PAF IITB group on the facebook ..

or atleast tag it there.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755623125&ref=nf#!/group.php?gid=337934963142

Vikrant said...

http://vikrantkasafar.blogspot.com/2010/03/paf-review_28.html

Agam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aditya said...

@agam - it is really sad that u had to put such a comment. You people prepared the PAF for the audience and now you are not ready to listen to what people have to say about it. Everybody has a right to put in their views about anything. You should take criticism and appreciation both with open arms.

aditya said...

And by all means, Ravali is a respected dram alumnus of the institute. Her opinion does hold value to a lot of people here.

Unknown said...

@seriously bhalu: "Everybody has a right to put in their views about anything. You should take criticism and appreciation both with open arms" - When I presented such a view on facebook, I found a hypocrite crying all over the place gathering sympathy from all associated near and dears

aditya said...

@rishabh - That was a comment directed personally towards something which you had nothing to do about.I just happened to mention that ONCE in front of somebody when you were there too, why would i want to gather sympathy from people,it wasn't even directed at me. I am surprised at the lack of basic rational understanding on your part to relate two completely unrelated things and call me a hyporcrite

Himanshu said...

Nice review :). All the loop holes were rightly pointed out. Shows the mark of man who knows the field :)

By the way,its interesting to note that with all the positive comments golani gave 7/10, and ravali's highly pessimistic criticism rating landed up at 6.5!!!
I just want a light from respected dram senior about her indexing methods.
Bhalu if u can correlate with it, please come up with something.

@bhalu:I believe that comment made by respected dram seniors effects the thought process of juniors, so their criticism should match the dignity they uphold.

aditya said...

@hamma - now its getting sort of ugly. See i am not agreeing with what Ravali had to say. I was just offended with how Agam replied back. She might or might not be right there. If you people feel that i supported her coz she critised ur PAF than you are wrong, she has criticized our idea of using symbolism too, she was not taking sides, neither am I. Again, i felt bad that somebody who did so much for dramatics in the institute presents her personal views and get personal remarks in return. If you do not agree with their opinion, say so. DO not start getting personal like first year kids.

Unknown said...

@Bhalu : I am not surprised at all, as I was sure you would blame me of not being rational because I don't think alike you... if not thinking like you is irrational, I accept then 'I think irrationally' .... Moreover, if however my statement (which was an opinion) was not directed at you, why were you in pain the most ...

aditya said...

@rishabh - why dont we dicuss this thing personally rather than on golani's page.

Golani said...

@ aditya : THANK YOU for the last comment. I hope it will end this argument

@himanshu : The ratings from me are not just comparison with current season, but with all the pafs i have seen. So they will differ from person to person even with different views

Himanshu said...

@bhalu: m for paf...not against or for any person...and i stand by my remark that vague(irrational) comments spoils the spirit of PAF...
All i said was a criticism( i exercised my right to put views) to above comments...

PS:I didnt disrespect anyone, i just asked what seemed irrational to me...i hope you can understand.

Prashant Bhushan Sharma said...

@Golani-Ek behad sateek review. Padh kar accha laga aur apni galtiyan samajh aayi. although unhe sudharn ke liye hum honge nahi (:))par baccho ke kaam ayenge apke comments...
@others- kisi ki baat ka koi matlab hi nahi nikal raha.

Ravali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ravali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Golani said...

ok so this is getting waaaaay too personal.... i will personally delete any more such comments

Anshul Singhal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anshul Singhal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
abhinav said...

@ Agam-waise bhi paf kisi ek insaan ka ho hi nahi sakta to 4 salo me kabhi paf jeetna ya harna ek insaan par depend karta hi nahi hai...and as a senior you should respect the spirit of paf...aur jaha tak review comment dene ki baat hai to waise bhi tu jinke bare me tu keh raha tha ,unka kaam to aaj bhi insti me macha raha hai....aur as a perfomer audience ki har baat digest karne ki himmat honi chaihye...na ho to perform karna chhod dena chahiye...

Anshul Singhal said...

PPL who do PAF HAVE to put infinite effort especially in such times when ppl want to work for MI, techfest etc etc more than PAF. They are the ones who are taking this great tradition forward. Hats off to you. Now if someone criticises the PAF... harsh feelings are obvious and in a way justified.

But we need to understand that reviews are given on the performance not efforts.

Hence plz dont feel offended. No one is undermining the effort...they are just discussing the quality of the output.

Think about the PAFs whe were almost butchered by audience while they were going on...camouflages, kasturi, asafir.

Atleast nowadays audience is decent enuff to let the PAF finish peacefully.

Prashant Bhushan Sharma said...

@Singhal-
as I said earlier . ek sateek review.. fruitfull bhi..par baaki discussion se pain hai...
Agar apne dhyaan se sab padha ho to PAF to beech me bacha hi nahi kahi discussion me....Baaki ke discussion me kahin bhi dhang se review nahi dikh raha...sirf ego clashes dikh rahe hain. Baat (@ mai maati )ki nahi hai.. jaisa apne likha...
baat hai jis tarah se ye lines likhi gayi thi.. "us getting a guy frm a draught village and putting him in the moonlight .... saying u r a sikh and hence were unfolding the ther side to an issue".. hum apne senior ka respect karte hain aur isiliye yahaan thode senti ho gaye.
@Bhalu, Abhinav and all others... Respect hathiya kar nahi liya jata... u have to earn it and as Hamma rightly pointed out "their criticism should match the dignity they uphold."
Shayad agam ka aur @mai mati ka point chamka ho...

Anshul Singhal said...

whatever...i deleted all the posts which I wrote getting emotional abt PAF and personal attacks.

Its wierd that artists are supposed to be nice human beings and the best to take criticism. The day an artist stops doing so he stops growing...I did that mistake once.

Here in this blogroom I thought i was replying to artists...my foolish assumption.

I thought i was replying to the bloodline of artists from iit which I am also a part of...

After each year of PAF I thank god and the teams in my mind for continuing it for one more year.

Thanks to u ppl also...thank u everyone...

aditya said...

Golani has got international fan following now..:P