PAF Reviews : 1. Ramleela

It’s been after 5 years that in the month of March I am getting my full quota of sleep. So this being the first time in so many years that I am not involved AT ALL in the ongoing PAFs I thought I would give a shot at objective unbiased “reviews” (with a hint of personal take :P). So here goes

RAMLEELA (I won’t mention the hostels, as I need to be unbiased)
So the hype had been created by an awesomely shot and edited video. The snappiness, speed and the perfection of the trailer however was missing in the real PAF. This is the first time I think where each team is being given 4 days in OAT. The expectation of this I am sure would have been a tighter and well rehearsed PAF. However on that account Ramleela was found wanting. While watching the PAF I was reminded of this line our director in my first year would repeatedly say … “PAF main execution sab kuch hota hai”. Back then I thought it was just a speech to make us practice endlessly but after 5 years I know for sure that execution if not “sab kuch” is the most, most important part of the PAF.

Moving on to finer details. The concept was nice. I heard people complaining that dev d se uthaya kuch original nahi! Let me inform you … EVERY PAF I know has been inspired from some movie or other. At least here only the style was the inspiration and not the story. Still despite all the thought that would have surely gone into the development of the story, the ambition of of pulling something off like dev d in PAF was a bit too much for me. I think the wow of dev d (which I am assuming is what would have inspired the writers and directors of the PAF) atleast for me was not in the parallels drawn to the original story. Infact while watching dev d I hardly remembered devdas. The wow factor of dev d was from the characters and the artistic styling of the whole movie. Things like paro vigorously using a hand pump while shouting, design of chanda’s room and the dual life of her in the college. Instead the focus in the PAF was the parallels which in my opinion didn’t create impact of that level. Still being a firm believer of “trying something new” I appreciate the gamble.

As far as different elements are concerned, Lights and prod shifting were the obvious putches and choreo (though a couple too many) and music were the show stealers. Acting and voiceovers were inconsistent. The idea of having the music group to be a part of the stage was brilliant. Also the deliberate attempt of having scenes in between the choreos was also very commendable. I hope PAFs would start using choreo as a way to tell story rather than a gap filler.

Overall the length should have been much shorter, and the execution much better. I am not sure but it felt that a couple of scenes towards the end could not be acted out due to some problems, which definitely took away from the impact.
RATING : I hate to give individual rating, and I think I have included all relevant points that I remember in the text already. So for over all rating I would go with 5/10. The attempt to something meaningful was visible but not completely achieved.

P.S.: Please feel free to comment, appreciate and CRITICIZE (if you must) the review. Your feedback will be my fuel to continue writing the reviews for the rest of the PAFs as well

10 comments:

Abhishek said...

Coincides with other reviews I have heard from people .... Didnt get to see the event though :(

hrishi said...

I agree with golu on many things over here...trailor was really gud...i was expecting tht much pace in the PAF also...but it got too slow in between...lyk thy were trying to strech it...but really a nice attempt...gud choreo..gud music but sometym it was too loud...few mistakes here n thr...but ya sure we knw how it goes...
but i dnt agree with rating...acc. to me n considering first PAF of the season..il give 7/10

Vikash said...

Nice review. I could not agree more (or less).

Ravali said...

This is exactly wht i said in the review (insight) also.... the concept was nice... it was a masala paf.... which cudnt have gone wrong... but it did...reason... i think was lack of practice... it clearly showed on stage...execution was bad... but trailer... and concept were gud

Bhoor Meena said...

I always appreciate the efforts but not at the bottom level...more over I do believe in quality...atleast for me PAF is just an entertainment with quality innovative ideas(execution) in each and every field of the cult and Sadly in this PAF ,each and every thing was missing.....more it was not a ramleela..it was a PaapLeela by some hostels!

Anshul Singhal said...

lets look at the aspect that "every" PAF is lifted from a film. I dont think so.
Lakshagriha wasnt, U turn wasnt.

Infact u also need to draw the line between the copying a film and its core idea (example harshad mehta PAF and Groundhogday PAF) to the extent that people do not even remember the PAF. What they remember is the film they were copied from.

At the same time there are other Pafs which might be loosely a result of some trigger by some film. As was the case of Dejavu (triggered by adaptation). Infact the film adaptation was not even the trigger I feel. The idea and story came much before I saw adaptation. And only a very few can see the minute touch of the film adaptation in Dejavu and that too if I tell them.

I feel if Pafs copy so shamelessly from a film. They should be penalised, heavily.

rakesh said...

Completely Agree...However I dont think the story/concept of the PAF worked at all. The only difference from the Ramayana (that they pointed out themselves in the end,despite being quite in your face), was that the real Lord Ram got swayed by a Dhobi's comments which he should not have had. Well, in this version Ram gets swayed by a bar owner's comments; a single insignificant character once again cheated ram into doing something which he might not have wanted to do. This was either a major plot-hole or not shown properly at all. Also apart from the Sita-haran scene and the Dhol yaara Dhol song I didn't see any of the choreos blending into the story. Music was good but entirely underused. I guess I had seen the actor who played Ram play some Nizam in a stage portrayal of "Shatranj Ke Khiladi" by Premchand in LT, sometime back. I loved him then, such a great actor! If he is the same person who played Ram yesterday, I feel sorry for him. Such a waste!...We can only hope that other teams take this as a sign and put up a PAF not just for the PAF's sake but for the 1500 audience who actually come to see and enjoy...I am not a cult person, so my opinions here were only as an audience of yesterday's PAF.

Deepak Kumar Mishra said...

Review pe review likhoon kya??

I review the review 10 on 10 ;)

Ranjeet Kr. Vimal said...

sab moh maya hai golani sir

Vikrant said...

http://vikrantkasafar.blogspot.com/2010/03/paf-review-ramleela.html